International (or Nigerian) students studying in Canada, are able to work both during and after their studies. Also, students may be eligible to stay and remain permanently in Canada after their studies.

Study, Work, & Live in Canada from Nigeria


As an international or Nigerian student studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, you are able to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during regular school sessions, and full-time (40 hours a week) during scheduled school breaks/holidays (e.g. winter and summer holidays or spring break).

International students studying in Canada are eligible for a variety of employment/work options, such as:

Work On-Campus: As an international student studying in Canada, you may work on campus at the educational institution where you are studying without a work permit, if you: are a full-time student and you have a valid study permit.
* Note: You must stop working on-campus on the day you no longer meet the eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student.)

Work Off-Campus: As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit, if you: have a valid study permit, you are a full-time student, you are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI), and you are studying in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is a minimum of six (6) months in duration.
* Note: You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you transfer to an educational institution that is not a DLI.)

On average, a student working part-time would earn between $800 to $1,500 CAD per month, while a student working full-time will earn between $1,600 to $3,000 CAD per month. Furthermore, even if you do not need the extra income, it is recommended that you work during your studies, because you will gain valuable work experience that will be to your benefit when/if you decide to work in Canada after your studies.

Work as a Co-op Student or Intern: For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. International students who wish to partake in a co-op or internship program, must apply for a co-op/internship work permit at the time of applying for their study permit.

To be eligible for a co-op or internship work permit, you must: have a valid study permit, your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada, your employment must be part of your program offered by a designated learning institution (DLI) and backed by a certified letter from a responsible academic official of the educational institution, and your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than fifty percent (50%) of the total program of study.

Contact Us for Speedy Admission Processing into Canadian Colleges & Universities. We will also assist with your Study Visa (Study Permit) Processing!


There are opportunities for the spouses (husband/wife) of international students to work in Canada, if desired. If your spouse wants to work in Canada, he/she must apply for his/her own work permit.

Your spouse (or common-law partner) may apply for a work permit if: you are a full-time student at a DLI and you have a valid study permit. Work permits for your spouse (or common-law partner) will be valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

Accompanying spouses (or common-law partners) of international students are eligible for an open work permit (allowing him/her to accept any job with any employer), which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada in order to apply for a work permit.

Contact Us to assist with the Work Permit Application Processing for your Spouse.


International students who have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, are given the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). So, you must apply for a work permit under the PGWPP, in order to be able to work in Canada after you graduate.

To be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), your study program must be a minimum of eight (8) months duration. The length of your PGWP will depend on the length of your study, up to a maximum of three (3) years. Keep in mind that a PGWP cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. For instance, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. Likewise, if you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

It should be noted that based on our extensive years of experience, we have discovered that students who graduate from a program with a duration of 16 months and above, do receive a 3-year PGWP. So, if you want to increase the likelihood of receiving a 3-year post-graduation work permit, then you should considering enrolling in a program that is 16 months or longer.

You are entitled to a Canadian Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) only once in your life-time,
so ensure that before you apply for your Canadian PGWP, you are making a decision that is in your best interest. It should be noted that even if you decide to pursue another program of study in Canada after your initial PGWP expires, you will NOT be issued another PGWP afterwards, so act wisely!
* If you are contemplating applying for a PGWP and you are not sure whether you are about to make the right decision, you should contact us for a review of your circumstances.


International students who recently graduated from a Canadian educational institution, may be eligible to apply to immigrate to Canada (i.e. stay in Canada permanently) under one of the various immigration programs, managed through the Express Entry system. Keep in mind that each program has its own requirements.

Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) helps graduates qualify for permanent residence (PR) in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). CEC is a permanent resident category for individuals with Canadian skilled work experience. It was developed for foreign/international graduates and temporary foreign workers with qualifying Canadian work experience.

International students are deemed to have the potential to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence, they are conversant with the Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. Thus, under the Express Entry system, foreign students receive extra credit for study in Canada, which makes it easier for them to receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for PR.

To be eligible to apply under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), the candidate must: Have a qualifying work experience and have knowledge of English or French, which are the two Canadian official languages.

Do you want to explore your options of remaining in Canada? Contact Us!

Check out -> Detailed Information about the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

See also -> Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Studying in Canada

** Don't forget to Contact Us to discuss your Canada Study Options, and to start your Study in Canada journey!




  1. Good evening,how do I get started with your agent on the scheme of study and work in Canada where I would probably depart Nigeria between September to November

    1. Hello Adam,
      Considering the fact that today is 31st July 2017, you will not be able to meet up with September 2017 start date. Keep in mind that admission processing takes between 1 week to 8 weeks (depending on the Canadian educational institution and your intended program of study), and the average processing time for Canadian study permit applications from Nigeria as provided by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is currently 15 weeks. Therefore, the earliest time that you can commence your studies in Canada will be January 2018; and you must start the process NOW, if you want to meet up with January 2018 start date. We have sent you an email with details to get you started.

  2. Good evening am i want to study, work and have intention to remain in canada. Am an ssce holder and want to further my education in canada perhaps one of the renowned college. Please i do i get started and dont mind coming over to you office in lagos. Thanks

    1. Dear Adegunsoye Moses,
      We have sent you an email that contains information to get you started on your journey to Study, Work, & Remain in Canada. Feel free to stop-by at our office anytime between 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday. Please note that our office is closed on Public Holidays.
      Alternatively, if you do not live close to any of our offices or you have a busy schedule and can’t find time to visit one of our offices. Not to worry! With our “Virtual Office” capabilities, our ‘Virtual Team’ of experienced and skilled consultants/counsellors can serve you every step of the way, regardless of where you live. So, you can have your Canada study and visa application processed in the comfort of your home. Simply connect with us by email, phone call, or through social media. Our contact details is here

    1. Hello Adegunsoye Moses,
      Thanks for your feedback, we really do appreciate it. We have sent you an email that contains information to get you started on your journey to Study, Work, & Reside in Canada.

  3. how long does it takes after study to get your post graduation work permit, how long into it can you start applying for your permanent residence and how long does it take to get your permanent residence

    1. Hello Favour,
      As an international (or Nigerian) student who have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, you must apply for your Canadian Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have met the requirements of your academic program (such as a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from the institution where you studied). Processing time for Canadian Post-grad work permit as at today (19th July 2017) is 61 days for online applications or 106 days for paper applications.
      To apply for Canadian immigration (i.e. Permanent Residence) through the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry), you are required to have a minimum of one year Canadian work experience, on your PGWPP. Keep in mind that if you go through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you may be able to apply for Canadian PR, with less than one year post graduation work experience, depending on the province where you studied or the province where you are using your PGWPP.
      Lastly, as per IRCC (formerly: CIC) they aim to process Express Entry applications within 6 months, although processing time may vary depending on some factors, such as: the volume of applications they receive, how easily they can verify your information, etc.

  4. Good afternoon sir,
    I came across this advertising in internet and got interest, however am hearing impaired ,Nigerian ,special educator and degree holder in fine and applied art ,I should prefer to do my Master degree in any university in Canada on the same field ie fine and applied art.
    I have second class lower in it and shall be very appreciated if I could be directed to suitable University that are offering fine and applied art for onward process admission with scholarship .
    Thanks .

    1. Hello Anuku,
      We do NOT have an office in Abuja at this time. Our current office locations are in Lagos and Benin-city, Nigeria.
      For those who do not live close to any of our offices or if you have a busy schedule and can’t find time to visit one of our offices. Not to worry! With our VIRTUAL OFFICE capabilities, distance is NOT a barrier. Regardless of where you live, our VIRTUAL TEAM of skilled consultants/counsellors are able to assist you every step of the way. You can have your study, visa, immigration application processed, in the comfort of your home or office. Simply connect with us using any of the following options here

  5. what an enlightenment! please where is your office situated in Lagos Nigeria?

  6. How relevant am I to enroll into BSc Hons Critical Care Nursing in any of reputable Canadian university. I’m an intensive care nurse working in intensive care unit of federal medical center Nguru, Yobe State.
    The motive is due in part to lack of any institution offering the above course in the country and the entire African continent in the other.

    1. Hello Rabilu. Securing an admission as an international (or Nigerian) student into a BSc Nursing program in Canada is very competitive. This is the case because a large number of Canadian educational institutions do not accept international students into their BSc Nursing program, due to the high demand from local students (i.e. Canadian citizens & Canadian Permanent Residents).

  7. I would want to avail myself too of this wonderful opportunity to live & study in Canada,as a post-graduate.I prefer Canada cos i did my 1st degree @Urbanian University Rome,though i’m a Nigerian and i live in Nigeria.Pls kindly help me out,thanks.

    1. Hello Asema. Good to hear about your interest in studying, living, and working in Canada. We have just sent you an email with the necessary information to get you started. Cheers!

Comments are closed.